Transcendental Magic and Miracles

Amidst mundane chaos, scarcity
lives appeared hopeless
a portal of light, a road of redemption
the mercy of Gaura Nitai!

_________________________________________________
The stark reality of Kali's age
wars, bodily hatred and violence
poverty, starvation, new epidemics
many diseases, types of slow deaths.

Amidst mundane chaos, scarcity
lives appeared hopeless
a portal of light, a road of redemption
the mercy of Gaura Nitai!

These two Lords came
inspiring a magical, miraculous view
from what seems mundane
or ordinary--our everyday life.

A challenging query made:
Do you perform miracles?
Yes, Prabhupada replied
pointing to his disciples!

This statement a clue:
those touched by Bhakti's grace
must avoid complacency, boredom
by forgetting the wonder of Krishna.

Excitement present in newness
what seemed extraordinary appears common
material life again attracts us
as our spiritual necessity is covered.

Avoid such misfortune
by constant spiritual reflection
gratitude, appreciation, and wonder
seeing Krishna behind everything.

Go to the most basic--
that we exist and are conscious
is amazing, we are part of Krishna
the life of our very life--and everyone!

Bodily construction and functioning
is miraculous, what to speak of our soul;
do you see, hear, feel, think and move?
others cannot, we are blessed by the best!

You are still alive in spite of
many chances for your death,
and there is no death actually
knowing this is such mercy!

Thinking yourself a body--
a frightful life waiting for the end
struggling for existence to fill the void
with stuff and fleeting relationships.

Material life is pessimistic
spiritual life a great pleasure
even if your standing is theoretical
begin from where you are.

Build your life on faith
positive expectancy
always look for the miraculous
behind even everyday occurrences.

Then there is Krishna's Deities
the holy name, and Bhakti scriptures
Prabhupada, the saints and gurus--
all these persons are miraculous blessings.

For devotees everything is miraculous
yet we have to cultivate the vision
counteracting material negativity
through practice, prayers, good association!

Mon, 02/09/2009 - 02:26 — Snehal
Marvellous!!

Hare Krishna, Prabhu!
This poem is absolutely marvellous. I am amazed to see how Krishna has blessed you with skills to arrange the words in the way, that would touch people's hearts.

This is so true. Krishna is working miraculously in the our day to day life but we fail to appreciate it. Even the smallest and insignificant thing in our life has the most significant influence later. So everything that happens in our life/daily life is in fact a miracle that we may not see. But definately, Krishna always intervenes if we surrender faithfully. We must just learn to believe this.

Snehal.

Mon, 02/09/2009 - 12:24 — Karnamrita.das

Imagine how much Krishna is Amazing

That Krishna can use someone in amazing ways is amazing! While I honor your appreciation, I am amazed--though inspired--at your amazement! It is true that Krishna can do anything through anyone--however insignificant. Although I don't consider myself considerably gifted at writing or poetry, one thing I can claim is that I intensely want to be empowered to communicate through the written word--and I keep practicing. And usually we improve with practice. One can hope and pray!

It reminds me of a few historical stories. Legend has it that during the time of Alexander the Great there was a gigantic and famous knot (the Gordian knot) with the legend surrounding it that anyone who could untie it would be the conqueror of all of Asia. Many people tried unsuccessfully to untie it. When Alexander saw the knot he looked at it and with his sword cut it into two. When others heard what he had done, they replied "Anyone could have done that" , but they weren't inspired to do it, and he was the one to fulfill the prophesy.

A similar story revolves around Christopher Columbus--the so-called discover of America. He was being minimized by some critical dinner guests who made light of his journey to Amercia, saying "Anyone could have done that." After awhile Columbus got and egg and asked his guests who among them could stand the egg on end. After they all failed, he proceeded to tap the egg on the large end, and easily stand it on end. Then he said "what is easier than to do this which you said was impossible? It is the simplest thing in the world. Anybody can do it - AFTER he has been shown how!''

So I think anyone can develop the ability to write if they are called to do it, and surely there are far more qualified devotees than myself. Yet somehow I am doing it and I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the devotees in this way and offer Krishna what I love to do.

Mon, 02/09/2009 - 15:05 — abrennan
being shown how

What an apt description of the work of the pure devotee. I knew the Gordian knot story but I had not heard the Columbus egg one.

As soon as I read that I started thinking about the the pure devotee showing us how things should be done. Not what to do, like cutting knots and breaking eggs, but HOW to be as humans. How to step back from our knots of mundane complicated knots that we try to unravel or lives that we try to balance but end up continually falling one one side or the other.

in your poem:

"inspiring a magical, miraculous view
from what seems mundane
or ordinary--our everyday life."

I think this is a key we all should carry. What appears mundane is miraculous, what seems ordinary is magical, when viewed from the perspective of Krishna Consciousness. What appears fantastic in life is due to the mercy of Krishna, What appears problematic is really an opportunity to surrender.

This "positive expectancy" should be bottled and given away. Krishna says he responds to the measure of devotional service the devotee is operating with. "There is no loss" says Prabhupada. You can't lose

"Then there is Krishna's Deities
the holy name, and Bhakti scriptures
Prabhupada, the saints and gurus--
all these persons are miraculous blessings.

For devotees everything is miraculous
yet we have to cultivate the vision
counteracting material negativity
through practice, prayers, good association!"

What great news for us all.

I don't know why but I am a little excited at reading all this.

Hare Krishna

Mon, 02/09/2009 - 16:44 — Karnamrita.das
My hearty thanks for such an insightful, inspired comment. Such comments are a real joy to read and think about, and they add more depth to the blog!

I had heard the story of Columbus from a devotee though I hadn't really reflected on it more then in the terms I mentioned--of someone doing something great, but later, being minimized for it. So I am glad you were able to ponder these examples--I haven't read them before today in print, and after I wrote them I left work.

There is a lot we can think of about our "knotted" material condition. Guna means rope, so we are all bound hands and feet by the modes of nature. Only someone not bound can free us--or even convince us that we ARE bound, AND that this is a problem. People may speak of karma and reincarnation, yet few recognize the implication of these laws, and how they should not live to use them for material purposes, but to get free from these restrictive laws all together. So Prabhupada, his followers, and really all Gaudiya practitioners are helping people understand the best use of our human life.

"The real form of this tree cannot be perceived in this world. No one can understand where it ends, where it begins, or where its foundation is. But with determination one must cut down this strongly rooted tree with the weapon of detachment. Thereafter, one must seek that place from which, having gone, one never returns, and there surrender to that Supreme Personality of Godhead from whom everything began and from whom everything has extended since time immemorial." [Bg 15.3-4]

"Thus the knot in the heart is pierced, and all misgivings are cut to pieces. The chain of fruitive actions is terminated when one sees the self as master." [SB 1.2.21]

"After many, many births, when the results of one's pious activities mature, one gets an opportunity to associate with pure devotees. Then one is able to cut the knot of bondage to ignorance, which bound him because of varied fruitive activities. As a result of associating with devotees, one gradually renders service to Lord Vasudeva, who is transcendental, free from attachment to the material world, beyond the mind and words, and independent of everything else. That bhakti-yoga, devotional service to Lord Vasudeva, is the real path of liberation." [SB 5.19.20]

"In hopes of becoming happy in this material world, the foolish conditioned soul performs fruitive activities that result only in suffering. But by rendering service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, one becomes free from such false desires for happiness. May my supreme spiritual master cut the knot of false desires from the core of my heart." [SB 8.24.47]

"O Supreme Lord, for self-realization I surrender unto You, who are worshiped by the demigods as the supreme controller of everything. By Your instructions, exposing life's purpose, kindly cut the knot from the core of my heart and let me know the destination of my life." [SB 8.24.53]

"One who desires to quickly cut the knot of false ego, which binds the spirit soul, should worship the Supreme Lord, Keshava, by the regulations found in Vedic literatures such as the tantras." [SB 11.3.47]

Tue, 02/10/2009 - 19:41 — bhaktincarol
haribol!

Very nice poem.

Could you explain this quote please?

bhaktincarol

Thu, 02/12/2009 - 08:51 — Karnamrita.das
Knots in the heart

The "knot in the heart" is considered the false ego. When we really know we are not matter, we give up our material hankering, and become enlivened spiritually. By the grace of our guru we are connected to the parampara or disciplic line of teachers going back to the Lord himself. As we make progress through chanting the holy name, service to advanced devotees and Krishna's deity forms, the Lord himself will untie this knot by which the soul (ourself) and matter are entangled. This frees us from material doubts, which cause us hesitancy in our progress spiritual life of surrender. Then we know we are servants, not masters, and we understand the Lord as our real master and dear-most friend. Serving the Lord in this pure consciousness frees us from the chain of karma coming from our former exploitive attitude. Prabhupada discribes these things in his purport to this and the previous verse.

This verse is speaking of a very high, exalted stage when one can actually see the Lord in love or prema. This is the opinion of Shrila Visvanatha Charvarti Thakur, one of our great predecessor teachers or acharyas.

When we truly have awakened our love for the Lord, he personally enlightens us. (BG 10.11)

Lord Shiva explains this in the Shrimad Bhagavatam [4.24.59]

"The devotee whose heart has been completely cleansed by the process of devotional service and who is favored by Bhaktidevi [devotional service personified] does not become bewilderd by the external energy, which is just like a dark well. Being completely cleansed of all material contamination in this way, a devotee is able to understand very happily your name, fame, form, activities, etc."

Seeing the Lord doesn't occur just with our purity alone, but in addition we have to posses intense devotional hankering for the Lord's association. Laulyam is intense greed to attain the Lord's shelter and company, and is considered the root of our meeting the Lord of our heart.

" Pure devotional service in Krishna consciousness cannot be had even by pious activities in hundreds of thousands of lives. It can be attained only by paying one price--that is, intense greed to obtain it. If it is available somewhere, one must purchase it without delay." [Chaitanya Charitamrita Madhya 8.70]

Mon, 02/09/2009 - 22:57 — DBB
Hare Krishna, Karnamrita

Hare Krishna, Karnamrita Prabhu!

What a wonderful poem! I am kind of person who does not have interests in poem but this poem has made me a "poem lover" and at least will read all your poems posted in future.

That was certainly most beautifully said. But you give a main blog and supplement it with additional comments or ideas later on -what a wonderful way!!

Durga Basnet

Tue, 02/10/2009 - 07:09 — Karnamrita.das
A particular taste

Like many things poetry requires acquiring a particular taste. I am not a big fan of mundane poetry--which means to mean poetry without some relationship to Krishna--unless there is something that I personally can dovetail in relationship to him, like something about nature or personal growth which for me has spiritual applications.

Some poetry I have read is technically very sophisticated. Often however, for me there is no real substance. A person's goal in life or their preoccupation is usually demonstrated in their poems, so that doesn't interest me. Also I read some poetry critics rave about which seems like "fluff" with no real substance. As human beings we all have different tastes and we may appreciate this or that thing by our nature. For instance: types of music or art or people. Yet for the most part devotees like people and topics that convey or are interested in deep meaning and spirituality.

Prabhupada spoke about how devotees are interested in anything where Krishna is involved. He mentioned the battle of Kurukshetra; he said we are not interested in just any battlefield, but we are interested in this one because Krishna was present and there spoke Bhagavad-gita.

I personally think that devotees should be expert in whatever field they are involved in, though the main thing in all our endeavors is Bhakti. If I can somehow capture aspects of bhakti in my poems and writings and the readers are touched and inspired with that spirit or devotional energy that is my success. At the same time I would like to be able to really understand this artistic medium and elevate my poems to be seen as a good example of poetry in any circle.