Purification From Chanting

Recently one of the talks I gave in The Japa Room was about the purification process of chanting the Maha Mantra.
I am sharing one of the quotes I used here for anyone who is not able to come to The Japa Room.

"It is said that the execution of devotional service is so perfect that one can perceive the results directly. This direct result is actually perceived, and we have practical experience that any person who is chanting the holy names of Kṛṣṇa (Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare/ Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare) in course of chanting without offenses feels some transcendental pleasure and very quickly becomes purified of all material contamination. This is actually seen. Furthermore, if one engages not only in hearing but in trying to broadcast the message of devotional activities as well, or if he engages himself in helping the missionary activities of Kṛṣṇa consciousness, he gradually feels spiritual progress. This advancement in spiritual life does not depend on any kind of previous education or qualification. The method itself is so pure that by simply engaging in it one becomes pure."
Srila Prabhupad, Bhagavad Gita, 9.2 (section of purport)

During this particular discussion, in The Japa Room, of course I went into this topic in greater detail and used some other quotes as well, but at least I can share this one with everyone.

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

* Navasi's blog
* Login or register to post comments

Comments
Tue, 04/29/2008 - 23:01 — rasa108
rasa108's picture
This week in the Japa Room
This week's stage is given by myself using an audio/visual presentation on the subject of prayer - Stage 5: Understanding the importance of prayer for assistance in chanting Japa. If you are interested we have the stage notes available for you to preview: Stage 5 notes

After the presentation, Navasi and myself will be answering questions and comments.

Please register at www.thejaparoom.com this week and come along to relish the great devotee association.

* Login or register to post comments

Wed, 04/30/2008 - 05:07 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
Prayers For Assistance

Hare Krishna, Dear Rasa,

Thank you for letting everyone know what the next stage will be.

Prayers for assistance with our japa are so very important. We all need the mercy of the Great Devotees, such as Srila Prabhupad, and also Lord Chaitanya (Krishna) for assistance with our chanting.

The two Stages about Prayer are some of my most favorite :)

I like the way we each compose a personal prayer in Stage 6. : )

Well, now I am really looking forward to Stage 5 so I can again think about the importance of Prayer! : )

Very nice association there in the Japa Room, as you have said, and Bluegrass has said in his comment as well.

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare

: ) : ) : )

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 04/29/2008 - 19:24 — Bluegrass1
Bluegrass1's picture
Missed all the great people

Missed all the great people in the Japa room, 2 weeks without is far too much I dare say. I Just might have to double dip this weekend and get caught up it would make a great cap for the amazing program our group is having on Sat. No words can express my gratitude for the service Navasi and Rasa Rasika are performing by runing this discussion !

* Login or register to post comments

Wed, 04/30/2008 - 04:58 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
Missing

Hare Krishna, Dear Bluegrass,

We've become a rather close group there in the japa room, haven't we? : )
We miss you too when you are not able to attend. : )

Your participation and attendance at all the meetings since the start has made you one of our Senior Members! :)

We love the association and the questions and comments you bring, and hearing about your progress in chanting.
Looking forward to seeing you there again. :)

Hare Krishna :)

* Login or register to post comments

Tue, 04/29/2008 - 09:10 — Pixiechitos
Pixiechitos's picture
Scepticism

Hare Krishna Devi.

I'm a complete neophyte. I wouldn't even consider myself a devotee.

I am so sceptical and critical of the whole Bhakti Yoga process and of its authority, so I am hoping that the Japa will bring me to a level where I can begin to appreciate and accept, without scepticism, the Bhakti Yoga process.

I'm afraid I'm in the clutches of maya and in distress.

Every time I decide to be less materialistic Krishna somwhow attracts me.

I shall try to chant a few set rounds a day and see what happens.

Your advice and guidance is appreciated.

A seeker

* Login or register to post comments

Wed, 04/30/2008 - 04:51 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
Faith

Hare Krishna, Dear Pixiechitos,

If you just have this tiny bit of faith that you are talking about, that's all you need for now.

Use that to chant, like you are going to try to do.

Just by chanting, you will begin to develop faith in the process of Bhakti Yoga, and in Krishna.

You will also begin to lose your attraction for materialistic things as you chant more.

That's the process, chanting Hare Krishna.

All you need is enough faith to actually begin chanting, and keep chanting. The rest will come as you chant.

Try not to worry too much about what you are not able to accept at the moment (really, that's just Maya trying to pull you away from your souls natural desire to love Krishna).

It's very nice to hear of your aspirations toward Krishna.
Krishna becomes very pleased when someone aspires toward Him, as you are doing.

Hare Krishna :)