The Power Of Krishna's Name

The Power Of Krishna's Name

āpannaḥ saḿsṛtiḿ ghorāḿ

yan-nāma vivaśo gṛṇan

tataḥ sadyo vimucyeta

yad bibheti svayaḿ bhayam

SYNONYMS

āpannaḥ — being entangled; saḿsṛtim — in the hurdle of birth and death; ghorām — too complicated; yat — what; nāma — the absolute name; vivaśaḥ — unconsciously; gṛṇan — chanting; tataḥ — from that; sadyaḥ — at once; vimucyeta — gets freedom; yat — that which; bibheti — fears; svayam — personally; bhayam — fear itself.

TRANSLATION

Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the holy name of Kṛṣṇa, which is feared by fear personified.

PURPORT

Vāsudeva, or Lord Kṛṣṇa, the Absolute Personality of Godhead, is the supreme controller of everything.

There is no one in creation who is not afraid of the rage of the Almighty.

Great asuras like Rāvaṇa, Hiraṇyakaśipu, Kaḿsa, and others who were very powerful living entities were all killed by the Personality of Godhead.

And the almighty Vāsudeva has empowered His name with the powers of His personal Self.

Everything is related to Him, and everything has its identity in Him.

It is stated herein that the name of Kṛṣṇa is feared even by fear personified.

This indicates that the name of Kṛṣṇa is nondifferent from Kṛṣṇa.

Therefore, the name of Kṛṣṇa is as powerful as Lord Kṛṣṇa Himself.

There is no difference at all.

Anyone, therefore, can take advantage of the holy names of Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa even in the midst of greatest dangers.

The transcendental name of Kṛṣṇa, even though uttered unconsciously or by force of circumstances, can help one obtain freedom from the hurdle of birth and death.

Srimad Bhagavatam 1.1.14

* Navasi's blog
* Login or register to post comments

Comments
Sun, 01/11/2009 - 17:29 — shikha
shikha's picture
HARE KRISHNA

HARE RAM HARE RAM RAM RAM HARE HARE HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE . HIGHEST ENERGY SOURCE ALL PRAISES TO LOVING KRISHNA . HARE KRISHNA

* Login or register to post comments

Sat, 11/29/2008 - 07:33 — bhaktincarol
bhaktincarol's picture
close to death

In 2002 my body was very close to death, by many accounts. I was laying in an emergency room, fully alert and conscious and hearing every word that was said, but was physically very injured. Doctors were looking in my eyes and telling me "treatment" was "not an option." I was too injured they said, they felt they could not repair me. They said the most they would do was begin to run tests, so they could tell someone what I had died from. They did not expect me to live.

I remember several teams of doctors came in, one team after the other, to look at me. At first I was examined quickly. One last doctor seemed to have a kindness in his eyes. Then he saw something the others hadn't seen, internal organs outside my body, and I saw the hope go out of his eyes.

They sent in a psychiatrist who said I was not thinking realistically if I thought survival was a possibility. He wanted me to accept that I would die soon.

Additionally I was suffering because I bled so much and was very cold, they had to remove fluid just so my lungs could inflate, and I was suffering because I had no family there with me, I felt very alone. They asked for next of kin, and my only living parent did not want to see me. My husband, who I had previously depended on for my strength, was the one who had performed the attack.

Before that day in the hospital, I had lead a very fearful life. Fear and panic had appeared frequently.What was going on then in the hospital was most difficult, it was emotionally very hard, and physically very unpleasant. The doctors said they wouldn't even treat me, I felt I couldn't do anything -- I could barely breathe, couldn't even move my body. I thought I would panic. I kept thinking I would have an attack of anxiety, that mentally I wouldn't be able to cope with the situation. And I was afraid that could be defeating as it would use energy I needed for other things.

Before I went into the hospital, I contacted devotees. It was my second time in contact with devotees, the first brief contact had been 19 years earlier. Still they brought caranamrita and Tulasi leaves, and gave tapes of devotional music, including the maha mantra. Then the ambulance took me. For the first time in this life (!), I listened to the mantra and govinda prayers. I listened to them all day and all night, for weeks. I was too weak to speak, but I heard them with my ears.

I never did panic. Not once during months of being hospitalized. Also, I was not fearful of dying. I don't know how I would have felt before about dying, because I had not been in a situation like that before (in this life). I was trying to survive, but as I didn't know the outcome I didn't know what would happen.

It was the first time I had the mantra in this life. I felt very protected. For much of the time in the hospitals (I was in several), tubes fed me and gave oxygen, people turned me, I couldn't do much at all, sometimes I could barely open my eyes -- and yet I was given everything I needed, and I was healed.

I was given the maha mantra, I found I was drawn to it and could focus my thoughts on the sound of it. When my thoughts were focused on the Lord's names, the experience of pain became less prominent, and my fear of not being able to cope with the situation was gone. I became dependent on the mantra. I was comforted by it. After recovering, I began coming to the temple, associating with devotees, going to temple classes. In the past few years I've come to chanting 16 or more rounds daily and find chanting to be a very enjoyable, sheltering, very beautiful experience. I fell in love with the mantra.

It seems everything in my life changed at the time of that injury, when devotees and the maha mantra came into my life. The old life was ripped apart and taken away, but that is good because that was a dark, sinful, life. I forgave the ex-husband for what he did to me. (he is now in jail for a different activity). And have since found out it was a reaction due to karma. Now I am building a life of trying to learn about and serve Krishna. I am engaged to a very nice devotee, trying to live a life that is simple, and reading Srila Prabhupada's books. I chant.

I am grateful, so grateful to stand in the temple room and be in the presence of Sri Sri Radha Kalachandji. I felt protected by the mantra, and by the association of devotees, Tulasi. I've been given a chance to come to the temple, to be with devotees, and learn, still in this body.

(A devotee told me he thought this story was one that could help others. I only hope I could tell it in a way that could help. I trust him.)

* Login or register to post comments

Sun, 11/30/2008 - 07:44 — Hari_Priya
Hari_Priya's picture
Very touching

Hare Krishna dear Bhaktincarol,

Your story brought tears to my eyes. I too had a rough time in my life sometime ago, but by Krishna's mercy I have recovered now.

Krishna is there for us, only we have to turn to Him and surrender ourselves to Him. Now that we have, we should never let go of His Lotus feet.

Hari Priya

* Login or register to post comments

Sat, 11/29/2008 - 11:27 — DBB
DBB's picture
The best story I ever read

Hare Krishna dear bhaktincarol mataji,
Certainly this story is very helpful to me. Thank you so much for sharing such a best story I ever read.

Your humble friend,
Durga

* Login or register to post comments

Fri, 11/28/2008 - 03:10 — tekisui
tekisui's picture
Chanting Krishna's name for life

Here's an account of an actual event:

I live out in the country, and sometimes I go nordic walking through the woods, fields and country roads. People have dogs out here, often running free, and those dogs are a threat to walkers, runners and cyclists - they are aggressive and they bite. Fortunately, they are not rotweilers or some such naturally aggressive kind, but they are eager enough. So one must be very careful to spot and avoid those dogs from afar. This isn't always possible, though, as sometimes, dogs will come running out of the forest, or from a house etc.
This threat of dogs frustrates me greatly, but at the same time, I also need some recreation and fresh air.

A couple of weeks back, when I was walking across and open field, two dogs came charging at me. I had nowhere to hide, nowhere to run. I was really scared. I have had several bad experiences with dogs before. This time, I chanted the Maha-mantra out loud and continued walking ahead at the same speed, barely glancing at the dogs, and chanting. They had slowed down a few meters before me, looked at me in surprise, and then charged ahead passing me by. I was surprised too. It all looked a bit funny, actually. I kept on chanting out loud for a while, until I ran out of breath and also felt calmer.

Now I feel urged to chant regularly, to make sure that I would be able to remember to chant when I come upon a rotweiler. Because I know all too well the fear and the agony of being chased and assaulted by a dog, and I don't want to go through that again.

* Login or register to post comments

Fri, 11/28/2008 - 04:56 — DBB
DBB's picture
Created reverence in my heart

Hare Krishna dear Tekisui,
I read your story with reverence in my heart and with tears in my eyes -seeing the power of Mahamantra.

You gave us another practically tested example of Mahamantra, the Holy name which is non-different from the Lord Himself. He is so merciful to us!! We can get Him by chanting!

Your humble friend,
Durga

* Login or register to post comments

Fri, 11/28/2008 - 01:24 — Snehal
Snehal's picture
Ajamila is the good example

I want to mention about Ajamila here who was saved from going to hell just by unconsciously chanting the Holy name of Krishna - 'Narayan'.

Ajamila was a brahamin who associated with a prostitute and lost all his good qualities and became a sinner. He lived with this prostitute and had children from her. He (by his good fortune) named his youngest son Narayan. Narayan was his most beloved son and so he happened to always chant this name. When he grew old and was diseased yamduts came to take him to hell. Narayan was playing the same room and so Ajamila started crying out "Narayan" for help. Hearing this, Vishnuduts appeared there and ordered yamduts to leave without taking Ajamila. They saved Ajamila from Yamduts saying that Ajamila is no more a sinner as he has chanted the Holy name of Narayan throughout his life and is purified. Ajamila who witnessed this conversation realized the truth and after the dieappearance of Yamduts and Vishnuduts, left for a holy place where he spent his remaining life in devotion. And at last got liberated.

This example perfectly demonstrates what Navasi mataji is saying in this post. And second point is, its always good to have a name with lord's names so that people can at least unconsciously chant the Holy name.

Haribol

* Login or register to post comments

Thu, 11/27/2008 - 23:03 — Hari_Priya
Hari_Priya's picture
Wonderful!

Thank you very much for enlightening us with this, Navasi Prabhu.

You made my day!

Hari Priya

* Login or register to post comments

Thu, 11/27/2008 - 22:19 — DBB
DBB's picture
Hare Krishna Navasi

Hare Krishna Navasi Prabhu,

I am much obliged to read that. Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing jewels of knowledge giving us the importance and power of the holy names. People like you are our Guru, who have been guiding us. Thanks to www.krishna.com who have connected me, a most fallen useless, unwanted and sinful person to such great devotees like you. I owe to this web site so much for giving me an opportunity to improve like this -being educated from devotees like you.

What a fantastic thing to start my day by reading such a wonderful piece of writing! It is only 9 AM. So fortunate I am!

Your humble friend,
Durga

* Login or register to post comments

Mon, 12/01/2008 - 08:45 — Navasi
Navasi's picture
Krishna's Name

Thank you everyone, for all these wonderful comments about Krishna's name.

~ Durga, thank you for letting me know how inspiring this was for you to read.

~ Hari Priya, thank you for saying how inspired you were also.

~ Snehal, that's the prefect story to go with this, the story of Ajamila, shows exactly the power of Krishna's name.

~ Tekisui, I love your story with the dogs. It made me smile too. :) Another thing about that is that the dogs also benefited from you chanting to them! :)

~ Bhaktin Carol, thank you for sharing your story here again. I remember it from when you shared it with us in my blog about chanting "Greeting The Sun".... it's wonderful, and of course others benefit, as you can even see by the comments.

Chanting and glorifying Krishna's name is everything.

Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare