What king Parikshit did after being cursed?

There are two different accounts - in SB and Mbh (see below). (The question was brought up in https://iskcondesiretree.com/forum/topics/what-king-parikshit-did-after-...
but the answer wasn't given.)

This type of variant accounts in different sastras is usually attributed to the so-called kalpa-bheda, lila differences in various cosmic time cycles.

MBh Adi Parva, Hridayananda das Goswami edition:

Srila Suta Goswami said:
That ascetic sage of noble vows gave the message to a disciple, and, his
heart breaking with compassion, sent him to King Pariksit. He carefully
instructed the disciple, a well-behaved and serious young man named
Gaura-mukha, to inquire about the king's welfare and about the news of
state affairs in general.
Gaura-mukha went quickly to that ruler of men, who had benefitted the
Kuru dynasty in so many ways. His arrival duly announced by the
doorkeepers, he entered the king's palace. The brahmana Gaura-mukha was
thereupon properly honored by the king, and after he was well-rested
from his journey he accurately related to the monarch, in the presence
of the royal ministers, the full and frightening message of the sage
Samika, omitting nothing. "Dear king," he said, "There is a most
virtuous and self-controlled sage named Samika, who is peaceful and
greatly austere and who lives in your kingdom. O tiger among men, O
glory of the Bharatas, with the tip of your bow you wrapped a dead snake
around the sage's shoulders. He himself was tolerant of your deed, but
his son could not abide it. O king, without the knowledge of his father,
he has cursed you! On the seventh night hence Taksaka will certainly
cause your death. None can mitigate the curse, and therefore the
compassionate sage again and again urges you to care for your soul. The
sage was unable to restrain his enraged son, and therefore, O king, he
who earnestly desires your welfare has sent me to you."
Hearing these terrible words, the beloved king of the Kuru dynasty began
to grieve. He was himself highly advanced in spiritual knowledge and
thus he grieved not for his own passing away, but for his offense
against the sage. Understanding that the accomplished sage had been
absorbed in meditation under a religious vow of silence, the king's
lament grew all the greater. When he understood the sage Samika's
sincere compassion upon him, his grief and remorse grew still more, and
his heart was filled with sorrow for the sin he had committed upon the
holy ascetic. Noble as a god, King Pariksit lamented only his sin
against the sage and nothing more. He sent Gaura-mukha back with this
message: "May the holy Samika again grant me his mercy."
As soon as Gaura-mukha had left, the king consulted with his ministers,
his mind disturbed by his offense. The king knew how to take good
counsel, and together with his ministers, he came to a decision. He
arranged for a well-protected platform with but a single support. He
also arranged for his security by bringing proper medicine and those who
knew how to treat the diseased condition of the soul, and he placed all
around him brahmanas who had perfected the chanting of Vedic mantras.
Situated on that platform, he performed all the duties of a saintly
king, along with his ministers. The king was protected on all sides
because he knew the principles of religion. On the seventh day, O best
of the twice-born, the learned Kasyapa came there to protect the life of
the king with his medical skill. Having heard that on this seventh day
the most powerful of serpents, Taksaka, would send the greatest of kings
to the abode of the lord of death, he thought, "When the king is bitten
by that powerful snake I shall counteract the feverish effects of the
poison. Thus I shall gain both material and spiritual benefit." As
Taksaka, the leader of serpents, moved toward the king he saw Kasyapa
traveling with great determination in the same direction. Transforming
himself into an elderly brahmana, Taksaka, chief of the serpents, said
to the exalted sage Kasyapa, "Where are you going so quickly, and what
is it that you are so anxious to do?"
Kasyapa said:
On this very day Taksaka, the greatest of serpents, will consume with
his poison the heroic king of the Kuru dynasty. Dear and gentle
brahmana, as soon as that leader of the race of snakes bites the mighty
Kuru king with his fiery poison, I shall immediately counteract the
effect. It is for this that I am going so quickly.
Taksaka said:
I am that very Taksaka, O brahmana, and I shall indeed bite the ruler of
the earth! Turn back! You have no power to cure a man bitten by me.
Kasyapa said:
I shall in fact cure the king! As soon as you bite him, I shall
counteract your poison; I have made my calculations on the strength of
my vast knowledge. AP 39

Taksaka said:
If you you have any power to cure someone bitten by me, Kasyapa, then
revive a tree that I shall bite. Before your very eyes, O best of
brahmanas, I shall burn this banyan tree with my poison. Try your best
to save it. Show me the power of your mantras!
Kasyapa said:
Carry out your threat, O ruler of snakes, and bite the tree. But once
you have bitten it, O serpent, I shall bring it back to life.
Srila Suta Goswami said:
Even as the ruler of snakes was thus addressed by the great soul
Kasyapa, the powerful serpent approached the large banyan tree and bit
it. Once bitten by Taksaka and filled with his poison, the entire tree
immediately burst into flames. Having burned the tree, the snake again
spoke to Kasyapa, "O best of brahmanas, now try to bring this tree back
to life!"
Although the tree was reduced to mere ashes by the mighty serpent's
power, Kasyapa nevertheless collected all those ashes and then spoke
these words: "O snake ruler, behold the power of my science when it acts
upon this noble tree. Before your eyes, serpent, I shall bring this tree
back to full life."
The exalted and learned Kasyapa, the best of the twice-born, then
brought back to life a tree that had been turned into a heap of ashes.
First he created a sapling, then gave it two leaves, adding twigs and
branches, and at last manifested the full-grown tree, precisely as it
was before. Seeing the great soul Kasyapa restore life to the tree,
Taksaka said, "O brahmana, what you have done is truly amazing. Most
learned one, it appears that you can nullify my poison and that of other
powerful serpents. O ascetic, for what purpose are you going to the
king? What do you hope to gain? Whatever reward you hope to obtain from
this powerful monarch, I myself shall give you, even if it be something
very difficult and rare to achieve."
"This king is afflicted by a brahmana's curse, and his life is at an
end. If you try to save him, O learned sage, your success will be
doubtful, and your brilliant reputation, which is spread all over the
three worlds, will vanish like a sun which has lost its warm rays."
Kasyapa said:
O serpent, I go thence to obtain wealth, but if you yourself give it to
me, then I shall return home as you desire.
Taksaka said:
As much wealth as you seek from the king I shall give you now and more.
Desist and turn back, noble brahmana.
Srila Suta Goswami said:
When the very powerful and wise Kasyapa heard these words of Taksaka, he
began to reflect deeply on the fate of the king. With his divine
knowledge the mighty sage could understand that the life of the king,
born in the line of Pandu, had actually come to an end. Kasyapa, the
noble seer, collected from Taksaka all the wealth he desired and
departed. When by this arrangement the great soul Kasyapa turned back,
Taksaka quickly continued on toward the city of Hastinapura.
On the way Taksaka heard that the great monarch was surrounded by
persons expert in counteracting poison through mantras and medicines.
[Even though the king was detached from his fate, his people were
determined to save him.] Taksaka began to think, "I will have to trick
the king through some kind of magical process. What would be the best
means?"
Thereupon Taksaka dispatched to the king a group of serpents disguised
as ascetics with an offering of fruits, leaves, and water.
Taksaka said:
All of you must now carefully perform this duty. Go to the king and make
him accept this gift of fruit, leaves, and water.
Suta Goswami said:
Instructed by Taksaka, the snakes acted accordingly, bringing the king a
gift of darbha grass, water, and fruits. The noble monarch accepted it
all, and having received them with all the formalities due the sages he
sent them on their way. When the serpents disguised as ascetics had
departed, the monarch of men spoke to his ministers and well-wishing
friends, "You should eat, by my side, all these sweet fruits the
ascetics have brought." Then the king, with his ministers, desired to
take the fruits. The ruler held up a fruit on which was a tiny
copper-colored insect, whose body was short with blackish eyes, O
Saunaka. Taking this fruit in his hands, that best of kings then said to
his ministers, "The sun is setting, so there is no danger for me today
from poison. But a young sage cursed me to die today, so let his words
be true! May this insect be transformed into Taksaka and bite me so that
he will not have uttered a lie."
The ministers, moved by the will of God, agreed with the king, and
having spoken thus, the monarch then quickly placed the insect on his
neck and laughed. The saintly king had lost his external consciousness,
and being prepared to ascend to his next life he desired to give up his
mortal frame. As he continued to laugh, Taksaka came out of the fruit,
which had been given to the king, and wrapped himself around the great
ruler.
Note to Chapter 39:
The highly revered scripture Srimad Bhagavatam describes the king's last
moments as follows (12.6.1-10 ):
King Pariksit spent his last days hearing about God from Sukadeva
Goswami, the self-realized and peaceful son of Vyasa, and now the king
humbly approached his holy teacher and bowed his head upon the sage's
feet. The king had lived his entire life under the protection of Lord
Visnu, and now at the end he folded his hands in supplication and spoke
the following:
"I have now achieved my purpose in life. Indeed I am truly blessed
because you have so mercifully taught me about the Supreme Lord, who is
without beginning or end. Yet I am not surprised that a great soul in
love with God has shown his mercy to a foolish king suffering the
terrible miseries of this world.
"My lord, I now have no fear of Taksaka or anyone else, or of death
itself, for my mind is now absorbed in God, whom you have revealed to
me, and He has soothed my heart and taken away my fear.
"O holy one, now that my time is drawing near, grant me permission to
give up my speech unto the Lord and to absorb my mind, free of all
desire, in Him alone. Thus I shall give up my life."
Suta Goswami said:
Thus requested, the glorious son of Sri Vyasa gave his permission to
King Pariksit. And after the king and all the sages had honored him,
Sukadeva departed from that place. The saintly King Pariksit then sat
down on the bank of the Ganges upon a seat of darbha grass with the tips
of its stalks facing east and turned himself toward the north. Free of
attachment and doubt, he sat as firmly as a tree and fixed his mind on
the Supreme Soul, and his life air ceased to move. Sitting there like a
great yogi, his consciousness was no longer in this world.

AP 40
Suta Goswami said:
When the ministers saw their monarch enwrapped by the serpent, their
faces turned white and they cried out in utter distress. Hearing the
sound of the king's departure, they scattered about. Overcome with
grief, they saw the lord of serpents, the extraordinary serpent Taksaka,
his duty done, streaking bright as a lotus through the sky, as if to
part the hair of heaven. The house burst into flames from the fire of
the serpent's poison, and as the king's men fled in fear it crumbled and
fell as if struck by lightning.
When the great soul King Pariksit had thus departed from this world, the
royal priest, who was a self-realized brahmana, joined with the
ministers and performed all the funeral ceremonies meant to bestow
blessings upon the king in his next life. The residents of the royal
capital then met together, and everyone agreed that the king's son must
succeed his father to the throne. Thus Janamejaya, the young hero of the
Kuru dynasty, whom all declared to be invincible, was appointed to lead
the great Kuru empire.
Though still a young man Janamejaya was noble by nature, and acting in
concert with royal ministers and priests he proved to be an excellent
ruler of men. This first-born son of Pariksit administered the kingdom
exactly as his heroic great-grandfather Pandu had done. The ministers,
observing that the king cut down like fire those who would pose a threat
to the country, now felt him worthy to accept a royal bride, and so they
approached the king of Kasi, Suvarna-varma, to request his daughter,
Vapustama, as a wife for the Kuru leader. The Kasi king agreed to give
his daughter Vapustama to the Kuru hero after carefully studying his
character and virtues, and Janamejaya joyfully accepted her, and never
again did he think of other women.
Thus with a happy heart this powerful king, the best of rulers, sported
with his wife amid lakes and blossoming woods, just as in ancient times
Pururava enjoyed life upon obtaining the celestial Urvasi. Likewise
Vapustama, having obtained such a handsome ruler as her husband, loved
him deeply, and in their free moments gave him much delight, for she was
the joy and beauty of the king's palace.