Key Practices of Krishna Consciousness
Krishna consciousness is the original, natural condition of all living beings and the complete fulfillment of self-realization. It means being fully conscious of both our eternal spiritual nature and of our natural relationship as loving servants to the Absolute Truth, or Krishna. For those of us who have forgotten that relationship—namely, everyone in the material world—there are practices to help return us to our original Krishna consciousness.
Practicing Krishna consciousness is scientific and experiential, not just theoretical. It involves focusing our mind and senses in active service to the Supreme Person. Great teachers, acharyas, have itemized some of the essential practices, all of which are beneficial, and any one of which, if practiced sincerely, can lead to spiritual perfection. The most recommended practices of Krishna consciousness are:
- Hearing about Krishna from authorized shastras (scriptures) like Srimad-Bhagavatam and Bhagavad-gita, with guidance from sincere practitioners
- Speaking about Krishna or chanting Krishna's names
- Associating with devotees of Krishna
- Living in a holy place (or making your own place holy)
- Worshiping God in His transcendental Deity form
All of the above are beneficial, but the top two - hearing and chanting - are most important.
(Picture shows a devotee offering flowers to Krishna's Deity form.)