Krishna consciousness, or bhakti-yoga, means how to act in harmony with ultimate reality—the Supreme Person. Bhakti—“devotional service”—is how the bhakta—“devotee”—and Bhagavan—“God, the possessor of all opulences”—relate.
We're all naturally Krishna conscious. In illusion, we think we’re the center of the universe, and our bodies are our real selves. Krishna consciousness means becoming free from that illusion, and experiencing our true blissful, eternal nature. It's a process that works. Anyone can do it.
Krishna consciousness is both a "practice" and the goal of the practice. The goal is to be Krishna conscious. The practice is to always stay conscious of Krishna.
In-depth articles, in our Reading Room:
- Meditation and Yoga—Everything under the sun about meditation, mantras, chanting, and the meditation of chanting mantras
- Faith(s) and Knowledge—What's the difference between religion and knowledge? Between different religions?
- Spiritual Eating—All about preparing and offering food to Krishna. How is this done? What are the life-changing effects of eating Krishna prasadam?
- Kirtan/Sacred Sounds—What happens when the power of music is harnessed, focused, and directed towards glorification of the Supreme Person? Something extraordinary.
- Spiritual Masters—How to identify, find, inquire from, and relate to a qualified guru, or teacher of spiritual science.
- Forms of God—Does the Supreme Being have a form? If so, what is it? What's the difference between worshiping that form and worshiping an "idol?"
- Simple Living—Do God consciousness and a return to a more natural, agrarian lifestyle go hand in hand?
- Holy Places—Do some places on Earth have greater spiritual potency, where anyone can make spiritual benefit just by going there?
- Spiritual Association—An essential ingredient for steadiness in spiritual life. Hear from those who've made the quantum leap of faith toward Krishna consciousness, and learn why it's impossible to make spiritual progress in a vacuum.
- Practice at Home—Practical "how-to"s, stories, tips, tools, and meditations for anyone wanting to practice Krishna consciousness right now, right where they live.